Gluten Free Air Fried Pickles is going to quickly become your new favorite appetizer. They are crispy, salty and the dill pickled taste shines through beautifully. And to pull it all together, my special horseradish sauce. If you have seen my Shrimp Wrapped in Bacon recipe, you know what I mean. But don't worry, I'm sharing it again down below!
Quite honestly, I wish I could remember the time I had my first fried pickle. I know I got them quite often in college but that was not the first time. I remember though being hooked from the start. I guess it helps that I absolutely love pickles, but just the pickle paired with the crispiness and dipped in literally whatever dipping sauce its paired with is perfection,
I do know over my many years of fried pickle eating that I have had a lot of different sauces with it. I am definitely bias and my special horseradish sauce is by far my favorite for any fried foods, but I have also had some pretty phenomenal homemade ranches that have paired perfectly. Luckily, I am not too picky and will literally be happy no matter what.
Beat the eggs and place the bread crumbs on a plate to prep your dredging station. Pull your pickles out of the jar and place them on a paper towel in a single layer. Place another paper towel on top and pat them dry. Once dry, add a pickle to the egg and coat. Transfer the pickle from the egg to the bread crumb and coat on both sides. Place the pickle in the air fryer. Complete until the air fryer is full. Make sure you only do one layer or they will not cook correctly.
Set the air fryer to 400 degrees for 5 minutes. Flip when the timer goes off and then do another 5 minutes at 400 degrees. Complete the process again if you could not fit all of the pickles in the air fryer. To keep the others warm, I usually put them on a baking sheet and keep them in the oven with the oven set as low as possible. When the pickles are cooking, mix the ketchup, mayonnaise and horseradish and set aside in the fridge until the pickles are ready. Serve and dip the pickles in the sauce for the best results.
Do I have to use gluten free bread crumbs?
Nope! We just prefer to in order to give it a little healthy twist! We eat a good amount of gluten free foods so it is just a preference! If you do not want to use gluten free bread crumbs or do not have any, you can use regular bread crumbs using the same steps and the same amounts.
What if I don't have an air fryer?
You could always bake them! I would bake them at 400 degrees for 5 minutes and flip and then bake for another five minutes. You may need to give it a little extra time if they have not browned in that time depending on your oven.
If you love this recipe, you might also love:
- Shrimp Wrapped in Bacon
- Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Crostini
- Healthier Copycat Popeye's Chicken Sandwich
- Air Fried Crispy Chicken Tomato Mozzarella Pesto Sandwiches
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram! I update it daily with new recipes, kitchen tips, and much more! If you try one of my recipes, tag me on Instagram at @thebutteredgnocchi or use the hashtag #thebutteredgnocchi so that I can feature you!
Also check me out on Pinterest for more recipe ideas!
Gluten Free Air Fried Pickles
- Air Fryer
- Place pickle chips on a paper towel and cover with another paper towel to pat them dry.
- Place a few pickles in the egg and coat them completely.
- Remove a pickle from the egg and add it to the bread crumb coating on both sides.
- Add the pickle to the air fryer basket.
- Complete these steps until the air fryer basket is covered with a single layer. You cannot stack the pickles or they will not cook completely.
- Cook the pickles at 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Flip the pickles.
- Cook again at 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Complete these steps for the rest of the pickles if you could not fit them all in one batch.
- Add mayonnaise, ketchup and horseradish to a bowl and mix.
- Serve with sauce on the side. Dip pickles in sauce for the best results.