Lemon flavored desserts have always been something I gravitated towards. I don't know why, but I just love the fresh yet acidic flavor profile. The cookies are soft, delicious, and the icing on top creates the perfect combination of textures. The lemon zest shaved on top completes this refreshing cookie. These Healthy Lemon Cookies are the perfect summer dessert.
I love summer time. It has aways been one of my favorite seasons. It might have something to do with the fact that there is no school and now that I am a teacher, summers are actually better than they were as a kid.
The only thing that could possibly make summer better is some delicious, fresh lemon cookies. I love baking cookies for so many reasons. First, they remind me of my childhood. I mean who didn't love baking cookies over the summer when school was out?! Second, this recipe is just so easy to throw together as most cookies are! I love that it only takes about 10 minutes to mix and then 15 to cook! Little wait time required and I am all for that!
Ingredients for Healthy Lemon Cookies:
For the cookies:
For the Lemon Glaze:
The Steps for Healthy Lemon Cookies:
- To start mix the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Add in the egg, maple syrup, coconut oil and lemon extract, mixing well until well combined.
- Make sure your baking sheet is lined with parchment paper. Take about 2 tablespoon worth of cookie dough in your hands and roll it into a ball. Place each ball on the parchment paper, pressing down on each to slightly flatten and form a cookie. Throw the baking sheet in the oven and bake!
- While the cookies are baking, mix the powdered sugar, water and lemon extract. If this mixture is too dry add another ½ tablespoon of water. Once the cookies are done, let them cool for ten minutes before dipping them in the glaze. Add lemon zest on top if desired.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is there almond flour and coconut flour?
Almond flour and coconut flour combined creates a flour that better mimics all purpose flour. Almond flour by itself is very dry. By adding coconut flour, you are adding moisture which helps keep your baked goods from becoming dry.
Do I have to add the glaze?
Nope! That is completely optional, but let me tell you, that glaze just takes this recipe to the next level! It is delicious! Another recipe where I use a similar glaze is my Blueberry Scones with a Lemon Glaze! If you love the glaze on these cookies, you definitely have to try this one!
What are other recipes similar to Healthy Lemon Cookies?
My Blueberry Scones with a Lemon Glaze are the perfect fruity recipe infused with lemon flavor if that is what you are looking for! They are delicious!
If you love this Healthy Lemon Cookies recipe, you might also love:
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram! I update it daily with new recipes, kitchen tips, and much more! If you try one of my recipes, tag me on Instagram at @thebutteredgnocchi or use the hashtag #thebutteredgnocchi so that I can feature you!
Also check me out on Pinterest for more recipe ideas!
Healthy Lemon Cookies
- Mixing Bowl
- Baking Sheet
For the Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in egg, melted coconut oil, maple syrup and lemon extract. Mix until well combined.
- Using your hands, remove about 2 tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball. Place the ball on the parchment paper, lightly flattening the ball to make a cookie.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until the sides are slightly browned.
- While cookies are baking, mix powdered sugar, water and lemon extract together. If needed, add another ½ tablespoon of water.
- Once cookies are done, allow them to cool at least 10 mins on a cooling rack.
- Dip the tops of the cookies in the glaze and set back on the cooling rack allowing the glaze to harden.
- Top with lemon zest if desired.