A savory, veggie and turkey bacon quiche filling a delicious, sweet potato crust creating the perfect whole 30 friendly breakfast. This recipe is a must make. It is perfect to pack for lunch for work, Nate likes grabbing a slice and eating it cold on the way, or eat it fresh out of the oven, you really can't go wrong! This recipe is a great start to your morning. Whether you are having it for breakfast, brunch or lunch it will easily become one of your favorites.
I started making this recipe when I started my weight loss journey. It has been a great addition to my day and I love that I never feel guilt eating something this delicious. If you didn't know, my health journey started shortly after Nate and I got engaged. I was an athlete growing up and was in great shape, but then, as happens to many others, college got the best of me. Getting engaged really kicked my booty into gear because I knew that I needed to fit into my wedding dress and feel confident.
Since starting, I have lost 25 pounds. I had a little hiccup with a back injury in March and right when I was ready to go back to the gym, it closed because of the coronavirus. Since reopening, we have been consistently going though! Luckily, during the coronavirus I was able to maintain my weight and did not gain. I ran a lot, but my strength training disappeared for a few weeks.
When it comes to eating, this is what I have been doing. I have been switching out ingredients for a lot of dairy free and gluten free options. I also have been eating a lot of real ingredients instead of processed foods. We really like to base a lot of our eating on a whole 30 diet because that is what we have found works the best and includes the most whole ingredients. Of course, we love a good cheat meal and aren't 100% healthy 100% of the time but that majority of the time we are really watching!
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Shred the sweet potato. Coat the casserole dish with olive oil. Spread the sweet potato around the casserole dish to make a crust. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the crust. Cover the dish with tin foil and place in the oven. Cook for 25 minutes.
While the crust is cooking, whisk the eggs, coconut milk, and almond milk. Add in salt and pepper. Slice the bacon and cook on the oven until crispy. Remove the bacon from the heat and add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the pan. Cook until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant. Add in the spinach and cook until the spinach is slightly cooked down. Add bacon and veggies to the egg mixture.
Once the crust is done baking, uncover and pour the egg mixture into the casserole dish. Bake covered for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 8 minutes uncovered.
Do I have to use turkey bacon?
Nope! You can use regular bacon if your heart desires. You actually could replace with almost any protein! Slices sausage would be DELICIOUS!
Can I switch out vegetables too?
Absolutely, I can already think of so many delicious combinations that would taste delicious in this dish! You could switch out the spinach for kale, add some bell pepper, even some tomato would be amazing!
What are some other great bacon recipes I could try?
I have a few awesome recipes that include bacon! One of my favorites is my Cheesy Butter Bacon Mashed Potatoes. My Shrimp Wrapped in Bacon recipe is another delicious recipe that is perfect for an appetizer.
If you like this recipe, you might also like:
- Sausage, egg, cheese, and Guacamole Breakfast Burritos
- Shrimp Wrapped in Bacon
- Grilled Chicken Burgers with Guacamole
- Cheesy Butter Bacon Mashed Potatoes
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram! I update it daily with new recipes, kitchen tips, and much more! If you try one of my recipes, tag me on Instagram at @thebutteredgnocchi or use the hashtag #thebutteredgnocchi so that I can feature you!
Also check me out on Pinterest for more recipe ideas!
Whole 30 Breakfast Quiche with a Sweet Potato Crust
- Casserole Dish
- Cheese Grater
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Shred the sweet potato.
- Coat the casserole dish with olive oil. Spread the sweet potato around the casserole dish to make a crust.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the crust.
- Cover the dish with tin foil and place in the oven. Cook for 25 minutes.
- While the crust is cooking, whisk the eggs, coconut milk, and almond milk. Add in salt and pepper.
- Slice the bacon and cook on the oven until crispy.
- Remove the bacon from the heat and add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the pan.
- Cook until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant. Add in the spinach and cook until the spinach is slightly cooked down.
- Add bacon and veggies to the egg mixture.
- Once the crust is done baking, uncover and pour the egg mixture into the casserole dish.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 8 minutes uncovered.