Flaky biscuit muffin cups filled with pizza sauce, melty mozzarella cheese and your favorite toppings. These cheesy pizza bites are an excellent way to spend your pizza night. Add some of your favorite seasonings on top like Italian seasoning, garlic powder, or oregano.
This delicious appetizer is perfect for an afternoon snack or even a school snack for the kids. I know I would have been happy opening my lunch box to one of these as a kid. These mini pizza bites are also a delicious treat to serve on game day or at a tailgate. They are still delicious at room temperature making them perfect to grab and go in any situation.
This is one of those easy recipes where you have a base and then can play around with the toppings to customize them to your liking.
- refrigerated biscuit dough
- pizza sauce
- mozzarella cheese
- toppings of your choice
See recipe card for quantities.
Easy recipes like this are the best because they are delicious, yet simple and only require a few steps.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a muffin pan with Pam or olive oil. Open the biscuit dough and rip each biscuit in half so that you have two thinner halves of biscuit dough.
Form the biscuit dough into the muffin pan so that they form biscuit cups. Spoon about 2 tablespoon of the pizza sauce into the biscuit dough cups.
Add about 1-2 tablespoons of mozzarella cheese on top of the pizza sauce. Add the toppings of your choice on top of the cheese.
Bake for 9-10 minutes or until the biscuits get golden brown on the sides. Let cool and serve.
Hint: take your time when breaking the biscuit dough in half. You don't want the dough to be too thin. If it is too thin, it can break when you are forming it into the muffin pan. Usually if I accidentally break it too thing I just discard it or bake it by itself. You will have two whole biscuits leftover in the end so you have some wiggle room.
- Biscuit - gluten free biscuit dough or a pizza dough can also be used. Baking times may vary.
- Cheese - use dairy free mozzarella or vegan cheese for a dairy free option.
- Vegetarian - remove the pepperonis for a veggie option.
The fun part about this recipe is that it can be altered. Think of it like a blank canvas, you can alter the flavor however you would like.
- Buffalo Chicken - add buffalo sauce, chicken and blue cheese for a fun spicy version.
- Cheesy - mix in different cheese like parmesan cheese. You can also add extra cheese to make it extra cheesy.
- Loaded - add some fun toppings like green pepper, mushrooms, black olives, zucchini slice, roasted garlic cloves, red pepper flakes, banana peppers, etc. You can mix and match, add them all or add just one. The choice is all yours!
- Jalapeño - add jalapeño and cream cheese for a jalapeño popper version.
See this Jalapeño Popper version on my website!
To make these pepperoni pizza bites you will need a muffin tin. That is it! We love an easy recipe with little to no dishes!
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. These pizza bites can be delicious right out of the refrigerator too if you love cold pizza.
These ingredients do stand up well to freezing for about 2 months. Make sure you reheat before serving.
Don't go too heavy on the sauce. You don't want your biscuit to get soggy. I try to only add about a tablespoon to each biscuit cup if that. I like to get most of my flavor and texture from the melted cheese and just have the sauce compliment. In my opinion, good cheese is what makes a pizza!
If you love this recipe, you might also enjoy
Pizza Bites Recipe
- Muffin Pan
- 10 halves biscuit dough
- 12 tablespoon pizza sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella
- toppings of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a muffin pan with Pam or olive oil. Open the biscuit dough and rip each biscuit in half so that you have two thinner halves of biscuit dough.
- Form the biscuit dough into the muffin pan so that they form biscuit cups. Spoon about 2 tablespoon of the pizza sauce into the biscuit dough cups.
- Add about 1-2 tablespoons of mozzarella cheese on top of the pizza sauce. Add the toppings of your choice on top of the cheese.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes or until the biscuits get golden brown on the sides. Let cool and serve.
They will not. When using the pre made biscuit dough, you get a nice, fluffy dough when baking like this. The outside can get a little flaky but it adds a nice crunchy texture to the homemade pizza bites.
Absolutely! This will add a lot more cooking time and work to the dish, but if you prefer a homemade pizza sauce this is definitely an option.
Of course! This will also change your prep time and could alter your baking time. Make sure you keep a close eye on your pizza bites while baking if you go this route. While I like to keep it simple with these, your pizza crust could really pay off if it is homemade.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
This post may contain affiliate links. By posting a product through these links, I may receive a small commission. Please know, I would never suggest a product that I don’t use on my own and love! Thank you so much for your support, it helps me keep The Buttered Gnocchi up and running!