Sausage patties or bacon egg and cheese sandwich using the king of all breakfast sandwiches, the english muffin. The best part about this recipe is that it is one of the easiest air fryer recipes you will ever come across! This is a great way to start your morning.
These air fryer breakfast sandwiches are the perfect way to start your day even on busy mornings. The cooking time is quick and you can even freeze them before hand and just heat them up the morning of. There is nothing better than a homemade frozen breakfast sandwich to start your day. Either way, the finished product is totally worth it.
This was inspired by my Homemade Copycat Sausage McGriddles on this site, and pairs well with this White Chocolate Salted Caramel Latte.
These breakfast sandwich ingredients should not come as a surprise. They are pretty much staples for every breakfast sandwich.
- english muffins
- bacon and/or sausage patties
- provolone cheese or cheese of your choice
See recipe card for quantities.
The best part about a recipe like this on a busy morning is that it is so simple to make and won't take much time out of your morning!
In the air fryer basket, place both halves of english muffin down with the middles facing up. Crack and egg in the bottom half of the english muffin. Season with salt and pepper.
Place a slice of cheese on top of the egg. Place a sausage patty or slice of bacon in the open space of the air fryer basket.
Air Fry at 350 degrees for 6-8 minutes.
Assemble the sandwich by adding the breakfast meat on top of the egg and cheese and adding the top half of the english muffin on top of the meat.
Hint: if you want a runny yolk, add the meat to the air fryer basket and set the air fryer at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. After 4 minutes, add the english muffin, egg and cheese. Air fry the last 4 minutes. This should give you a nice runny yolk. This of course all depends on personal preferences though because some like the yolk completely cooked through. Everyone enjoys a good egg recipe in a different way.
- Cheese - cheddar cheese is another delicious cheese to use. You can also use a slice of American cheese.
- English muffin - you can use a gluten free English muffin or bagel if needed. You can also swap out for a regular bagel, biscuit, or slices of bread if preferred. You can also use a whole grain bread for a healthier kick.
- Meat- the meat can be swapped out with a plant based sausage or bacon. Canadian bacon or turkey bacon are also great options that you can opt into using.
- Egg - use just the egg white for a healthier alternative and to help cut down on cholesterol.
There are a few different ways you can spice this recipe up
- Spicy - add sriracha mayonnaise or hot sauce to the top half of the english muffin prior to assembling your sandwich.
- Deluxe - one of the best ways to ramp this sandwich up is to add guacamole, tomato, onions, lettuce, etc.
- Kid friendly - add scrambled eggs instead of cracking it directly in the english muffin.
To create this recipe, you will need an air fryer. Other than that you don't need much. If you are cooking any part of the breakfast sandwich separately, you may need a frying pan but that is not necessary for this dish.
This is a very easy recipe to store. You can store already made sandwiches in the fridge for up to 3-5 days wrapped in aluminum foil or plastic wrap. You can also freeze the sandwiches in freezer bags or aluminum foil for up to 2 months. If you are freezing, make sure you reheat and defrost before enjoying.
These ingredients stand up well to freezing for up to 2 months separately or already cooked.
Make sure all of your ingredients are in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Especially the breakfast meats. If they are not in a single layer, they will not cook correctly. The bacon and sausage cooks well in the air fryer as long as it is flat. You can also use paper towels to help get rid of some of the bacon grease from the bacon so your sandwich isn't too greasy.
Air Fryer Breakfast Sandwich
- Air Fryer
- 4 English Muffins
- 4 eggs
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 breakfast sausages
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- In the air fryer basket, place both halves of english muffin down with the middles facing up. Crack and egg in the bottom half of the english muffin. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a slice of cheese on top of the egg. Place a sausage patty or slice of bacon in the open space of the air fryer basket.
- Air Fry at 350 degrees for 6-8 minutes.
- Assemble the sandwich by adding the breakfast meat on top of the egg and cheese and adding the top half of the english muffin on top of the meat.
If you want a fried egg, you are going to have to cook that on the stove and add it to the sandwich after it is done. I suggest adding the cheese directly onto the egg, but you can add the cheese to the english muffin if you want that to cook in the air fryer. Unfortunately though, you cannot pan fry an egg in an air fryer.
Some fun ones you can try would be breakfast burritos or air fryer egg toast where you cut out the middle of the bread and replace it with an egg.
Believe it or not it really does. You definitely get that crispy bacon texture that is desired in a breakfast sandwich. Just make sure your bacon does not fold onto itself at all. It needs to be completely flat to get a good crisp.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more guidelines at USDA.gov.
This post may contain affiliate links. By posting a product through these links, I may receive a small commission. Please know, I would never suggest a product that I don’t use on my own and love! Thank you so much for your support, it helps me keep The Buttered Gnocchi up and running!
Leave a Reply