Gluten Free Blueberry Scones. They are sweet, fruity, and have that perfect scone texture! This recipe has no added sugars, is gluten free, and oh so delicious! Definitely a must try, perfect to bring to a brunch, make for Mother's Day, or keep all for yourself! These gluten free blueberry scones are perfect when paired with a whipped topping! These are also delicious to serve as a dessert during the week! These are also perfect to take on vacation! Make them ahead and enjoy them the entire week.
My love of scones began when I started going to tea houses with my Mom and my Grandma. We have been going for years and I always look forward to the scone, jelly, and cream combination on the middle tier of the high tea! I also love scones with a delicious glaze on them, like my Blueberry Scones with a Lemon Glaze!
This is why making my own scone recipe was so high on my to do list. I knew I wanted to replicate that signature flavor that I love so much! Every time I snack on one, I immediately remember the relaxed and slow paced setting of the tea houses that I have enjoyed going to for so many years.
I decided to make a gluten free twist on this recipe because I love finding ways to make my favorite baked goods gluten free. I eat gluten free about 90% of the time, so making my desserts gluten free helps me stay on track during the week.
Ingredients to make Gluten Free Blueberry Scones:
- gluten free all purpose baking flour
- unsalted butter
- baking powder
- maple syrup
- frozen blueberries
The Steps to make Gluten Free Blueberry Scones:
- The steps to making scones are a little different than your typical baking recipe. To start, add your gluten free all purpose baking flour into a medium mixing bowl. Add your softened butter to the bowl and knead it in with your hands. You want it to be mixed in so that the flour is a little coarse.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients except for the blueberries and mix in with a rubber spatula. Sometimes I will end up using my hands because I find I just mix it better that way.
- Fold in the blueberries with a rubber spatula.
- On top of the baking sheet lined with parchment paper, form the dough into a disk shape. Cut into 8 pieces and move them apart from each other on the baking sheet. The scones will expand a little so they cannot stay right next to each other.
- Bake, let them cool and enjoy!
Can I switch out any ingredients?
Maple Syrup- Maple syrup can be replaced with honey using a 1:1 ratio. This will not change the flavor much but if you prefer honey that is completely up to you!
Butter- If you want your recipe to be dairy free or vegan, you can switch out the butter for refined coconut oil or vegan butter with a 1:1 ratio. This also will not change the flavoring much.
Frozen Blueberries- You can use fresh blueberries as well, I find frozen are easier to work with since you need to handle the dough with your hands a good amount. The frozen are less likely to break open when handling. You also can switch blueberries out for another one of your favorite berries!
What are some other recipes I can try similar to Gluten Free Blueberry Scones?
One of my favorite scone recipes is the Blueberry Scones with a Lemon Glaze. Although they are not gluten free, they have an absolutely delicious flavor and texture and the glaze on top is absolutely out of this world!
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram! I update it daily with new recipes, kitchen tips, and much more! If you try one of my recipes, tag me on Instagram at @thebutteredgnocchi or use the hashtag #thebutteredgnocchi so that I can feature you!
Also check me out on Pinterest for more recipe ideas!
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Mixing Bowl
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add gluten free all purpose baking flour to a mixing bowl.
- Add softened butter into the flour and knead into flour with hands. The flour should become coarse.
- Add in baking powder, salt, vanilla, eggs, water and maple syrup.
- Mix using a rubber spatula. Ass the dough mixes, you might need to use your hands to finish mixing.
- Fold in frozen blueberries using a rubber spatula.
- Place dough on the parchment paper and form into a disk using your hands.
- Cut disk into 8 slices.
- Pull the slices apart and spread them out on the baking sheet. They expand a little and will cook together if you do not.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove and let cool before enjoying!
This post may contain affiliate links. By posting a product through these links, I may receive a small commission. Please know, I would never suggest a product that I don’t use on my own and love! Thank you so much for your support, it helps me keep The Buttered Gnocchi up and running!