These mini sandwiches are the perfect appetizer to share at your next party. Today, we are outlining what I think are the three best kinds of finger sandwiches. Cream cheese and cucumber, egg salad and tuna salad. All are very simple to make but also some of the most irresistible finger food. You can also make a lot of fun different variations that will be a huge hit at any of your future tea parties.
These dainty sandwiches are perfect to serve at a baby shower, bridal shower, tea party birthday party, game day, or any special event that you are hosting. It is perfect for an easy appetizer, but can also be served as a main course, especially at baby and bridal showers. It can also be on your list of easy dinners, especially if you have little ones.
This was inspired by my Herby Spinach and Tuna Melt on this site, and pairs well with this Cheese Board.
Each recipe requires different ingredients, but they do all have one thing in common and that is delicious and fluffy slices of bread.
- white bread
- sweet onion
- parsley flakes
- cucumber slices
- cream cheese
- fresh dill
See recipe card for quantities.
Each sandwich has a few different steps to create their delicious flavor, but assembling the sandwiches all happens in the same way.
To create the egg salad bring a pot of water to a boil with the eggs in it. Once the water begins to boil, set a timer for 15 minutes. This will hard boil the eggs perfectly. Peel and use an egg slicer to slice the eggs. Mix with mayonnaise and parsley flakes.
To create the tuna salad, add the tuna to a bowl. Dice the sweet onion and add in with the tuna. Add in the mayonnaise and mix well.
To create the cucumber sandwich, chop the dill and mix with the cream cheese. Slice the cucumber. Spread the cream cheese mixture onto the bread and then add the slices of cucumber.
Once the sandwich is assembled, slice the crust off of each sandwich. You are then going to vertically cut each sandwich into four equal pieces. Assemble your finger sandwiches on a plate and serve.
Hint: add some fresh herbs to your finger sandwich presentation to really add an extra flair to the presentation. This will make your appetizer more inviting for your guests. This will make your appetizer more inviting for your guests and is the best way to elevate your party food.
You can also use cookie cutters to cut your finger sandwiches into adorable themed shapes. This is a great way to create cute finger sandwiches for a kid's birthday party. They will love the little shapes!
Which leads me to a tip for all parents outside of party planning. If you have picky eaters at home, cut their food into fun shapes, kids eat that up!
- Tuna - the tuna can be swapped out with shredded chicken.
- Bread - use gluten free bread instead of white bread to make this recipe gluten free.
- Onion - you can swap out the sweet onions for green onions or chives in the tuna for a slightly different flavor profile.
There are a few additional sandwiches that you can either swap out for any of the sandwiches in this recipe or you can just add them to your presentation.
- Cheese - you can add some cheese sandwiches or some ham and cheese sandwiches to the mix for any lunch meat and cheese lovers. You could also do roast beef and cheddar cheese as another delicious flavor combo.
- Tortilla Finger Sandwiches - you can also use flour tortillas to create a lower carb variation of a finger sandwich.
- Pinwheel Sandwiches - These easy finger sandwiches are another delicious variation using a tortilla. Buffalo chicken or jalapeño popper are two delicious versions you can make to add to your finger sandwich platter.
- Kid friendly - add some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to please the kiddos at the party.
For this recipe, you will need a sharp knife, some small mixing bowls, a cutting board and a platter or board to serve the sandwiches on. A sharp knife is very important for this recipe because you need to cut the sandwiches precisely and any time you are cutting something into small pieces, your best chance at not messing it up is to use a sharp knife. With the cucumber recipe, you also need to make sure your knife is sharp to slice through the cucumber without it sliding. For the egg salad and tuna salad, you can use a sharp serrated knife. With the cucumber I would not suggest using a serrated knife. I find it easier to cut through the cucumber slices without the serrated edge.
Leftovers can be wrapped up in plastic wrap and saved in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can also save the salads in the refrigerator for up to 5 days unassembled in an airtight container.
These ingredients do not stand up well to freezing.
If you are planning on making these sandwiches ahead of time for an event, I would suggest only making them a day or two in advance. If the bread is exposed to air for too long it will start to get stale and the worst thing in the world is a finger sandwich with stale bread.
Serve these sandwiches in a high tea fashion with scones and mini dessert. The mini cucumber tea sandwiches are very popular in tea houses and have always been one of my favorites for a high tea. This theme can be an excellent birthday party theme for a girl's birthday party for really any age. It can also be a very cute bridal shower or baby shower theme.
These little sandwiches can sit out at room temperature for about 2 hours. After that they should be refrigerated. If it is really hot out I suggest not allowing them to even sit out that long. This is definitely something you want to serve right before it is time to eat in a hotter environment.
A high tea typically will start off with a salad or quiche while you are waiting for your tea to steep. You then typically will get a 3 tiered tray with scones with jelly and whipped cream in the bottom tier, cute little tea sandwiches on the middle tier, and little bite sized desserts on the top tier. These finger sandwiches find their perfect place at your next afternoon tea party.
I personally love to use a classic, fluffy white bread. Pumpernickel is also a delicious bread to use, especially with the mini cucumber sandwiches. Different rye breads can also add some delicious flavor.
Finger Sandwich Appetizers
- Cutting Board
- Platter to Serve Sandwiches on
- 2 packets tuna
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 3 eggs hard boiled
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
Cream Cheese Cucumber
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 2 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1 cucumber sliced thin
- To create the egg salad bring a pot of water to a boil with the eggs in it. Once the water begins to boil, set a timer for 15 minutes. This will hard boil the eggs perfectly. Peel and use an egg slicer to slice the eggs. Mix with mayonnaise and parsley flakes.
- To create the tuna salad, add the tuna to a bowl. Dice the sweet onion and add in with the tuna. Add in the mayonnaise and mix well.
- To create the cucumber sandwich, chop the dill and mix with the cream cheese. Slice the cucumber. Spread the cream cheese mixture onto the bread and then add the slices of cucumber.
- Once the sandwich is assembled, slice the crust off of each sandwich. You are then going to vertically cut each sandwich into four equal pieces. Assemble your finger sandwiches on a plate and serve.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more guidelines at USDA.gov.
This post may contain affiliate links. By posting a product through these links, I may receive a small commission. Please know, I would never suggest a product that I don’t use on my own and love! Thank you so much for your support, it helps me keep The Buttered Gnocchi up and running! If you love this recipe, please leave a star rating!
Leave a Reply