Slow Cooker Beef Stew is the perfect meal for a chilly or rainy Sunday where all you want to do is cuddle up under a blanket. Which you can do because this stew will be cooking low and slow in the slow cooker. This stew is hearty, savory and comforting. There is a ton of freshness from the veggies and a nice noodle bite from the gnocchi. Perfect combination.
I love a cuddly day inside. Sometimes, there is just nothing better than a chilly or rainy Sunday when you're stuck inside cuddled under blankets and binge watching movies all day. Every once in a while, I really think that sounds like the ideal day.
Now, in my opinion, those days are created for one of two things. Delivery from your favorite local restaurant or a nice hearty soup in the slow cooker. Those are probably to two best options for a perfect cuddle day in. Luckily, you don't have to go too far to look for the perfect soup to fill the dinner place of your relaxation day because I have it right here for you!
So, lets do this, throw your soup in the slow cooker, grab a cuddly blanket, snuggle up and put on your favorite movie!
- To start, this recipe up, you want to chop up all of the potatoes, carrots, and onion. I buy my beef pre-cubed so this I just throw into the stew. Throw all of these ingredients into the slow cooker along with the tomato paste, creamed corn, garlic powder and beef stock. If you want, you also can chop your veggies the night before so that in the morning all you have to do is throw them in.
- Now, is the time you go relax, chill out and let your slow cooker cook on low. Drink some hot chocolate, watch a few of the Avengers movies (my personal favorite), make sure you have the softest blanket picked out.
- About 30 minutes before your stew is ready, boil you gnocchi and add them into the stew. That is about the most amount of work you will have to do for this recipe besides chopping in the beginning. Once the soup is done (About 7-8 hours after turning the slow cooker on) you are free to enjoy!
If I don't like beef, can I replace it with another meat?
Yes! Shredded chicken would be delicious in this recipe! If that is the case you could also switch the beef stock with chicken broth, but it would become less of a beef stew and more like a chicken noodle soup. (Also delicious though). The only thing I would omit if you did this would probably be the tomato paste, I have never done this and I am not sure what the flavor profile would be like but I mean, it's worth a try!
Why do you add Gnocchi?
Because I love it. I dont know if you can tell by the name of my blog, but I am obsessed with gnocchi's. I love adding them to soups, and I can't lie, the gnocchi really does add an extra element to this dish. You don't have to add a noodle product, but I think it just adds a little something to the dish to help finish it off.
What are some other delicious recipes similar to slow cooker beef stew?
My Creamy Chicken and Vegetable Gnocchi Soup is a delicious soup to try. It also includes delicious gnocchi just like this beef stew does!
If you love this recipe, you might also love:
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram! I update it daily with new recipes, kitchen tips, and much more! If you try one of my recipes, tag me on Instagram at @thebutteredgnocchi or use the hashtag #thebutteredgnocchi so that I can feature you!
Also check me out on Pinterest for more recipe ideas!
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker
- Either the morning of or the night before, chop up the potatoes, carrot sticks, and onion.
- Add the chopped potatoes, carrots, onion, beef cubes, tomato paste, creamed corn, garlic powder and beef stock into the slow cooker.
- Put the slow cooker on low and let is cook for 7-8 hours.
- You want to stir the stew occasionally making sure the tomato paste is mixed in.
- When there is about 30 minutes left, boil the gnocchi.
- Add the gnocchi to the stew and cover for 20 more minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!