Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches. Grilled, charred, fresh veggies sandwiches between fresh ciabatta bread smothered in garlic aioli and feta cheese. THIS is the perfect summer recipe waiting to make its way into your meal plan. Perfect to make on a sunny Saturday while sipping on a nice cold beer. This recipe is the perfect meal for a Labor Day, July 4th or Memorial Day barbecue.
These grilled veggie sandwiches were one of the first recipes I ever made. I will never forget back in high school, I would literally stand out in the freezing cold of the winter months grilling veggies to make these because at the time it was all I knew how to make. I was new at working with different flavors and found it intimidating, but this recipe is where I felt confident. So, I went to every extent to make it, I was dedicated to the veggie sandwich.
When I created this recipe, I just dove into it. It has definitely been adjusted over the years as I learned more about my flavor palette and what flavors work well together. My favorite part of this recipe is the ciabatta, garlic aioli and feta cheese combo. Ciabatta is such a perfect bread, it is so fresh and soft on the inside, but has a strong crust. Garlic aioli and feta both provide two strong flavors that you normally wouldn't combine together, but when combined together holy smokes they just compliment each other perfectly!
Ingredients to make Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches:
- fresh ciabatta bread
- garlic powder
- lemon juice
- crumbled feta
- red pepper
- yellow squash
- olive oil
- grilling tongs
The Steps to make Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches:
Who doesn't love a low maintenance grilling recipe perfect for a weekend night?
- To start, chop up all your veggies and place them all in a bowl. Pour in the olive oil and toss until all of the veggies are coated.
- Then it is time to prep the bread! Cut the ciabatta loaf into 4 equal portions if it is not already cut. Cut each piece in half to make a sandwich. Mix the mayonnaise, garlic, garlic powder and lemon juice in a bowl to create a garlic aioli. Spread the aioli onto each slice of bread. Sprinkle the feta cheese on every slice.
- Place all of the veggies on the grill. These should cook for about 10 minutes and you will want to flip them halfway through. When you go to flip the veggies, place all of the bread halves on the top rack and close the grill. This will lightly toast the bread and slightly melt the cheese.
- Once everything is done, remove it all from the grill. Pack the veggies on your sandwich and enjoy! This sandwich is super juicy and can get a little messy (that's when you know it is packed with flavor) so make sure you have a napkin handy!
Can I use different veggies?
Totally! That's the fun thing with a recipe like this, it is extremely versatile! So many veggies would go great with these flavors! Broccoli would be a great addition!
Have you ever added meat to this sandwich?
Yes! We have added Italian sausage to this recipe! It was delicious! I personally prefer it with just the veggies but Nate leans more towards adding the sausage! Luckily it is so easy to add in so it does not take a lot of extra work and you have the option to only add it to one person's sandwich if someone isn't feeling it!
What are some other grilling recipes similar to Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches?
One of my favorite grilling recipes is my Double Bacon Smash Cheeseburger with Onion and Campfire Sauce. I also love my Grilled Steak Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo and Avocado Sour Cream! You can't go wrong with either of these grilling recipes!
If you love this Grilled Vegetable Sandwich recipe, you might also love:
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram! I update it daily with new recipes, kitchen tips, and much more! If you try one of my recipes, tag me on Instagram at @thebutteredgnocchi or use the hashtag #thebutteredgnocchi so that I can feature you!
Also check me out on Pinterest for more recipe ideas!
Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches
- Small Mixing Bowl
- Cutting Board
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- 1 zucchini sliced
- 1 yellow squash sliced
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Sliced the veggies and add to a bowl with olive oil. Toss until all veggies are coated.
- Cut bread into 4 equal sections. Slice each section in half to get a sandwich.
- In a bowl, mix together mayonnaise, minced garlic, garlic powder and lemon juice.
- Spread the garlic aioli on each piece of bread.
- Sprinkle the feta on top of the garlic aioli on each piece of bread.
- On the grill, cook the veggies.
- Halfway through, add the bread to the top rack of the grill to lets the cheese melt and bread slightly toast.
- Remove everything from the grill and assemble the sandwiches. Enjoy!
[…] 17. Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches […]